Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Parent Night Scavenger Hunt

Time flies! We are already three weeks into the school year and had our parent night on Thursday.  I am not a public speaker, to say the least.  I can do without the sweating, rapid heartbeat, and nervous stutter...hehe...give me kids- not adults!   This freebie was certainly created with the kids in mind, however, I have a sneaking suspicion my subconscious had a hand with this one.

We do so much in such a short period of time that is not visible for everyone to see, and the kids are usually really excited to let their parents in on a few of our nifty happenings.  So rather than me standing up and doing the traditional "teacher speech," I let the kids drive the night.  We create a list of the things they most want to share with their parents and the kids become our tour guide.  I have a newsletter with all of my pertinent information to hand to the parents at the end as well as a rolling slide show of important stuff for everyone to review while their kids are dragging them all over the classroom.

On this year's scavenger hunt, a few of the kids' favorites were their "Secret Knowledge of Grown-Ups" stories we are working on to introduce the writing process, their Word Study folders because they are already stuffed full of words, their mnemonic name classbuilders, and our Hooked on Books reading incentives.  Finally, they have to introduce their parent and teacher.  The awesome part about using this activity is that it frees you up to speak with each parent individually as their children introduce you.  I also get such a kick out of hearing how excited the kids are to share their early success with their parents.  By the time they are done, the parents always say, "No! I don't have any questions!  They told me EVERYTHING!"  It creates a very positive atmosphere for parents, students, and teachers to celebrate a new year together.

The text portion of the file is fully editable, but the background has been flattened to preserve copyrights.  I hope you can use this in your classroom and have a super parent night!  Have a fabulous school year.

Also, check out some of the other great parent night resources featured in Freebie Friday linky!
Freebie Fridays



:0) Heather  aka "Wild About Words"

4 comments:

  1. This looks like lots of fun! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parents love it and it's neat to see how excited the kids are to share! Enjoy!

      Delete